Saturday, November 13, 2010

One of my favorite dishes: YUMM BOWLS!

For my very first food blog posting on this new blog, it would only be fitting if I featured one of my very, very favorite food dishes.

I love most any food, but when it comes to cooking at home, I like dishes that are flavorful, YUMMY, and easy-to-make. I may think of myself as a foodie, but I rarely slave over the stoves for hours at a time.

Let me introduce you to the Yumm Bowl. What is this, you ask? Let me preface this by giving you a little bit of history. I grew up in Eugene, Oregon. Go Ducks! In this college town, there are several cafes called… dun dun dun, Cafe Yumm! The owners of this cafe created these deliciously amazing concoctions called Yumm Bowls many years ago. Google “yumm bowls” and you’ll see a plethora of results and sites raving about them.

My homemade Yumm Bowls are comprised of some very simple, basic ingredients, layered on top of each other:
  • Rice (brown rice or jasmine rice)
  • Shredded cheese (I prefer cheddar cheese on mine)
  • The infamous Cafe Yumm! Sauce – I stockpile quarts of this sauce whenever I visit Oregon. $10-$15 per bottle, but well worth it!
    • Note: For those that don’t have access to the real deal, Google the sauce to find some web recipes created by addicts – heard they’re very similar!
  • Diced tomatoes (you can certainly roll with chunky salsa as an alternative)
  • Sliced avocado
  • Sour cream
  • Tapatio hot sauce – hot damn! SO good, but alas is my own personal preference as Cafe Yumm! doesn’t make this a default
  • Optional for my homemade bowls, depending if I have it on hand, but default on the true Yumm Bowls:
    • Beans (red or black beans)
    • Sliced olives
    • Cilantro
As many of my friends know, I rave about Yumm Bowls! Joe (my boyfriend) and I generally have Yumm Bowls once a week. It’s really the perfect dinner and considered one my very favorite comfort foods.

Try it. If you don’t have the real Yumm Sauce, try out some of the makeshift recipes online… just do whatever it takes to get some. :)

Here’s what this deliciousness looks like:

DSC04302

Hope you try this! If you do, let me know what you think. :)

1 comment:

  1. Sarah, I love the blog! After hearing about Yumm Bowls for some time, I finally made them tonight. You're not joking around... it was very tasty! I made the sauce according to the recipe search, and it definitely adds a lot to the bowl with the rice and fixings. So good! Casey LOVED this as well. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete