Sunday, November 14, 2010

The Best Chocolate Chip Cookies. Truth.

As a young kid circa 1992, I remember baking chocolate chip cookies from the Better Homes & Gardens New Cookbook. I was the little baker in the house, often times baking cookies, cakes, etc. My dad always raved about those chocolate chip cookies so I was all the more happy to bake.

Nowadays, with the internet and all, I’ve migrated most of my recipe-seeking straight to Allrecipes.com. If you’ve never used the site, then you must go! Now! What I love about the site is that thousands of cooks and bakers have posted their very favorite tried and true recipes ranging across any cuisine and type of food you could ever imagine.

With an entire section devoted to cookies, from holiday cookies to bar cookies to brownies, this is definitely where I navigated to when I recently had a craving to bake homemade chocolate chip cookies.

Behold the gloriousness of these decadent, chewy cookies:

DSC04579

I brought dozens of these cookies to work this past week and they were gone by the end of the day. :) I ended up taking the remaining cookie dough yesterday and baking them. They’re just as delicious as last week.

Given the 5-star tried and true nature of this recipe, I am happy to share with you the details. I took the original recipe, located here - Best Chocolate Chip Cookies and made some slight modifications, which will be listed below.

Best Chocolate Chip Cookies

adapted from Allrecipes

Ingredients
  • 1 cup butter, softened
  • 1 cup white sugar (reduced this down to 0.5 cups)
  • 1 cup packed brown sugar (increased this to 1.5 cups)
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 3 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 2 teaspoons hot water
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 2 cups semisweet chocolate chips (used special white/milk chocolate swirl chips)
  • 1 cup chopped walnuts (omitted walnuts) 
Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
  2. Cream together the butter, white sugar, and brown sugar until smooth. Beat in the eggs one at a time, then stir in the vanilla. Dissolve baking soda in hot water. Add to batter along with salt. Stir in flour, chocolate chips, and nuts. Drop by large spoonfuls onto ungreased pans.
  3. Bake for about 10 minutes in the preheated oven, or until edges are nicely browned.

I don’t really like raw cookie dough, but they sure do look delicious:

DSC04569

DSC04566

DSC04575

I promise you that this is a fail-safe chocolate chip cookie recipe and will please any cookie lover. The holidays are coming up, so cookie-baking is in the air. I’m sure I’ll be sharing more with you. :)

What is your favorite cookie?

2 comments:

  1. These were suuuuper delicious! Thanks for sharing the recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My family loves chocolate chips cookies and in fact this is the first cookie I learn to bake. It is so simple but delicious. You cookies look yummy!

    ReplyDelete